Monday, January 16, 2012

A snippet of the epic

Pippin: Here do I swear fealty to Gondor, in sickness and in health, in living or dying, till my Lord release me, or death take me.

Denethor (bemused): And I shall not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given, fealty with love, valor with honor, disloyalty (grave); with vengeance. (to Faramir in the corner now) I do not think we should so lightly abandon our outer defenses, defenses that your brother long held intact...

Faramir: What would you have me do?

Denethor: (assertive) I will not yield the river in Pelenor unfought. Osgilliath must be re-taken...

Faramir: (pleading) My lord, Osgilliath is overrun-

Denethor: -much must be risked at War (cold). (Pause) Is there a captain here, who still has the courage to do his Lord's will?

Faramir: (hesitates) You wish now that our places had been exchanged, that I had died (hesitates) and Boromir had lived.

Denethor: (wrenching) Yes,,,I wish that

Faramir: (Resigned) Since you were robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead. (turns, walks and stops) If I shall return, think better of me father.

Denethor: (still wrenching) That will depend on the manner of your return.

No comments:

Post a Comment